||OCS Software Developer
The Association of Universities for Research in Astronomy, Inc. (AURA) operates several observatory centers (including the National Optical Astronomy Observatory, the National Solar Observatory, Large Synoptic Survey Telescope (LSST) and the Gemini Observatory)
in the United States and Chile under cooperative agreements with the National Science Foundation.
The LSST Project has begun construction of a large ground based observatory in Chile. The 8.4-meter LSST will survey the entire visible sky deeply in multiple colors every week with its three-billion pixel digital camera, probing the mysteries of Dark Matter
and Dark Energy, and opening a movie-like window on objects that change or move rapidly: exploding supernovae, potentially hazardous near-Earth asteroids, and distant Kuiper Belt Objects.
The LSST Telescope and Site Group (T&S) is looking for an Observatory Control System (OCS) Software Developer to complete the design, implementation, and verification of software components necessary for the LSST survey mission. This position
will engage in all phases of software development including: requirements elicitation, detailed design, implementation, and verification. The OCS Software Developer will be responsible for delivery of high quality end products including: requirements, designs,
deployed control and user applications, and user manuals in a timely fashion.
Typical components to be delivered include web interfaces to principal sub-systems over a range of scalable systems (desktops, laptops, tablets, and possibly smart phones), to support monitoring the status and performance of the system. A strong web/GUI
background is desirable.
This position is located in Tucson, Arizona at LSST Project Office and relocation to Tucson is expected.
This position will work closely with the OCS Manager and with other members of the OCS and TCS (Telescope Control System) software teams. The software developer will be responsible for:
- For software component, in coordination with end-users and software team: o Elicits software requirements, showing traceability to higher-level requirements. o Participates in selection of software components, where appropriate. o Develops detailed design
to match requirements. o Implements design of web content and code. o Implements other GUIs as appropriate. o Builds and deploys application on multiple platforms.
- At each step, participates in review of element with team. Participates with team in reviews of other components.
- Provides component development plan inputs and reports progress against plan.
- Communicates effectively with customers and fellow team members to ensure successful realization of project needs.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, mathematics, engineering, or physical science. A Master’s degree preferred.
- Experience in web-oriented and browser-based interactive applications.
- Experience on design and implementation of data visualization and monitoring displays.
- Must have delivered a previous software system or made a significant contribution to such.
- Attention to detail and commitment to achieving high quality results on time.
- Demonstrated working experience in one or more web-development languages.
- Experience working with version control systems (GIT preferred).
- Effective verbal and written comunication skills.
- Analytical and problem solving ability
- Skill in object-oriented analysis and design.
- Experience with the whole software development lifecycle.
- Experience in one or more of Java, C++, and Python.
- Knowledge of markup languages and schemas such as XML
- Experience working with issue tracking and management software, especially Atlassian JIRA.
- Working experience in wiki publishing, especially Atlassian Confluence.
- Experience working with publish-subscribe protocols, especially Data Distribution Service (DDS).
- Experience working on complex systems.
- Ability to learn and apply new skills.
Please list 3 professional references in your application, attach a statement of professional interests or cover letter and CV or resume (PDF Files preferred) to your application, and name any attachments with the following format: 16-0012_lastname_docname.
Application documents that are not uploaded as part of the application may be sent to
All complete applications received by February 15, 2016 will be given full considerations.
As an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, AURA does not discriminate because of race, sex, color, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, lawful political affiliations, veteran status, disability, and/or
any other legally protected status under applicable federal, state, and local equal opportunity laws. Preference granted to qualified Native Americans living on or near the Tohono O'odham reservation.
- Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.
- Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP
- The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access
to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure
is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information.
||Send This Job to a Friend