The Association of Universities for Research in Astronomy, Inc. (AURA) operates several observatory centers (including the National Optical Astronomy Observatory, the National Solar Observatory (NSO), Large Synoptic Survey Telescope and the Gemini Observatory)
in the United States and Chile under cooperative agreements with the National Science Foundation.
The NSO Daniel K. Inouye Solar Telescope (DKIST) Project has an immediate opening for a Drafting Assistant, DA hereafter. The DA is a person who makes detailed technical drawings or plans for machinery, electric and infrastructure using modern 2D and 3D
modelling software. The role is to survey equipment to develop new or update existing drawing and manuals to an ‘as-built’ status.
- Interpret existing documentation and compare this against the implemented hardware. Determine changes to the ‘as-built’ equipment and update the documentation to match the implementation.
- Draw wiring diagrams, schematics, and layout drawings used for manufacture, installation, and repair of electronic/electrical equipment.
- Prepare detailed working diagrams of machinery and mechanical devices, including dimensions, fastening methods, and other engineering information.
- Review existing maintenance documentation and update as necessary.
- Develop new 2D drawings, 3D models or documentation required to improve Maintenance Manuals.
- Associate Degree in 2D and 3D drafting in an engineering or architecture discipline
- Working knowledge of ASME Y-14/ANSI Y-14 including tolerancing, welding and machining symbols.
- MS Word, Excel experience
- Ability to speak and write effectively, including preparation of reports, manuals.
- Ability to cooperate with and obtain the support of others.
- Knowledge of AutoCAD, Solidworks and/or EPLAN. (Training will be provided.)
- Knowledge of ANSI Y32.2/IEEE Std 315 and/or IEC 60617 graphical symbols for electronic diagrams.
- Previous experience of working on an engineering construction site and/or multidisciplinary engineering environment.
- Use of modern metrology equipment e.g. Laser Tracker, Total Station, CMM arms and associated software.
Please list 3 professional references in your application and attach a CV or resume (PDF files preferred) to your application. Please name any attachments with the following format: 17-0119LastnameDocname. Application documents that are not uploaded
as part of the application may be sent to email@example.com
AURA, as a leader in the astronomical community, is committed to diversity and inclusion. AURA develops and supports programs that advance our organizational commitment to diversity, broaden participation, and encourage the advancement of diversity
throughout the astronomical scientific workforce. Learn more at http://www.aura-astronomy.org/diversity.asp.
As a recipient of U.S. Government funding, AURA is considered a government contractor and is subject to Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action regulations. As an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, AURA does not discriminate
based on race, sex, color, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender identity expression, lawful political affiliations, veteran status, disability, and/or any other legally protected status under applicable federal, state,
and local equal opportunity laws. The statements below as well as the requests for self-identification are required pursuant to these regulations. We encourage your participation in meeting these federal reporting requirements which are included for protection
and to assist us in our recordkeeping and reporting. Your responses are kept strictly confidential.
- Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.
- Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP
- The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access
to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure
is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information. 41
||Send This Job to a Friend