||EPO Communications Assistant/ Web Design
The Association of Universities for Research in Astronomy, Inc. (AURA) operates several observatory centers (including the National Optical Astronomy Observatory, the National Solar Observatory, Large Synoptic Survey Telescope and the Gemini Observatory)
in the United States and Chile under cooperative agreements with the National Science Foundation
The Office of Education and Outreach is seeking to fill a full-time temporary position at the National Solar Observatory. The primary roles of this position will be technical and creative in nature. They include the development and maintenance of a website
for the 2017 Total Solar Eclipse, assisting with the production and editing of a monthly webcast, and developing materials for social media platforms. This role will reflect the primary goals of NSO’s Office of Education and Outreach in bringing cutting edge
solar science to the general public in an accessible and exciting manner. Additional roles, such as supporting outreach events, web design/development, graphic work, and some office work will also be required. Occasional but infrequent weekend or after hours’
work may be required.
- Work with NSO managers and technical staff to develop and implement a website dedicated to the 2017 Total Solar Eclipse.
- Supports ongoing development of activities and events for 2017 Solar clipse.
- Designs and develops advertising for events.
- Assists with production of monthly webinar.
- Assists with planning of and ticket distribution of monthly public talks.
- Maintains and develops content for social media platforms.
- Cooperates and coordinates with personnel of all levels.
- Demonstrated experience with web design, including WordPress and/or Drupal.
- Experience or knowledge of live streaming and other social media trends desired.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop and InDesign in particular) desirable.
- Must be able to cooperate and coordinate with others at all levels in carrying out tasks.
- Must be able to take initiative and work within a flexible environment.
- Demonstrated ability to balance multiple tasks highly desirable.
- Creative and/or artistic ability desired but not required.
- Comfortable working in Director’s Office environment.
- No relocation expenses offered
- Temporary position through September 2017
- Availability to travel to the path of totality on August 21st 2017 a requirement
Please list 3 professional references in your application and attach a CV or resume (PDF files preferred) to your application. Please name any attachments with the following format: 16-0335LastnameDocname. Application documents that are not uploaded
as part of the application may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
AURA, as a leader in the astronomical community, is committed to diversity and inclusion. AURA develops and supports programs that advance our organizational commitment to diversity, broaden participation, and encourage the advancement of diversity
throughout the astronomical scientific workforce. Learn more at http://www.aura-astronomy.org/diversity.asp.
As a recipient of U.S. Government funding, AURA is considered a government contractor and is subject to Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action regulations. As an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, AURA does not discriminate
based on race, sex, color, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender identity expression, lawful political affiliations, veteran status, disability, and/or any other legally protected status under applicable federal, state,
and local equal opportunity laws. The statements below as well as the requests for self-identification are required pursuant to these regulations. We encourage your participation in meeting these federal reporting requirements which are included for protection
and to assist us in our recordkeeping and reporting. Your responses are kept strictly confidential.
- Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.
- Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP
- The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access
to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure
is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information.
||Send This Job to a Friend