The Association of Universities for Research in Astronomy, Inc. (AURA) operates several observatory centers (including the National Optical Astronomy Observatory, the National Solar Observatory, Large Synoptic Survey Telescope and the Gemini Observatory)
in the United States and Chile under cooperative agreements with the National Science Foundation.
The National Solar Observatory (NSO) Daniel K. Inouye Solar Telescope (DKIST) Project has an immediate opening for 2016 seasonal
Resource Technician (March 1st to end of August 2017) to provide support in the implementation of mitigation and monitoring activities for endangered species required for the DKIST Habitat Conservation Plan (HCP), on Haleakala, Maui, Hawai'i.
The Habitat Conservation Plan carries out mitigation and monitoring activities for Endangered Species Act listed species of Hawaiian Petrel (Pterodroma sandwichensis), Nene (Branta sandwichensis), and Silversword (Argyroxiphium sandwicense).
This is a 40 hour per week job; key duties and responsibilities of the technicians for this season include but are not limited to:
- Monitoring petrel collision around construction sites
- Monitoring reproductive success of Hawaiian petrel in mitigation site and control site
- Searching for new nest burrows of Hawaiian petrel in mitigation site and control site
- Set up camera traps and rat traps to monitoring predator (cats, rats, mongoose) population in mitigation site and control site
- Invasive species prevention
- Other conservation and mitigation duties
- Bachelor’s degree major in Biology, Wildlife Management or a related field
- At least one year of ecology or wildlife research/conservation experience
- Computer experience in Microsoft Word and Excel
- Possess a valid driver's license
- Must be able to hike 7miles with 40 lb backpack in high altitude (8,000-10,000 ft)
Knowledge of Hawaiian fauna and flora; experience in operating GPS and GIS; familiarity with handling birds (seabird-specific preferred); experience in operating camera traps and predator control; certifications in CPR and Wilderness First Aid/Responder.
Please list 3 professional references in your application and attach a CV or resume (PDF files preferred) to your application. Please name any attachments with the following format: 17-0033LastnameDocname. Application documents that are not uploaded
as part of the application may be sent to email@example.com
AURA, as a leader in the astronomical community, is committed to diversity and inclusion. AURA develops and supports programs that advance our organizational commitment to diversity, broaden participation, and encourage the advancement of diversity
throughout the astronomical scientific workforce. Learn more at http://www.aura-astronomy.org/diversity.asp.
As a recipient of U.S. Government funding, AURA is considered a government contractor and is subject to Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action regulations. As an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, AURA does not discriminate
based on race, sex, color, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender identity expression, lawful political affiliations, veteran status, disability, and/or any other legally protected status under applicable federal, state,
and local equal opportunity laws. The statements below as well as the requests for self-identification are required pursuant to these regulations. We encourage your participation in meeting these federal reporting requirements which are included for protection
and to assist us in our recordkeeping and reporting. Your responses are kept strictly confidential.
- Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.
- Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP
- The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access
to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure
is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information.
||Send This Job to a Friend