||Accounts Payable Specialist
The Association of Universities for Research in Astronomy, Inc. (AURA) operates several observatory centers (including the National Optical Astronomy Observatory, the National Solar Observatory, Large Synoptic Survey Telescope and the Gemini Observatory)
in the United States and Chile under cooperative agreements with the National Science Foundation.
The Central Administrative Services (CAS) unit of AURA is seeking an Accounts Payable Specialist for its office in Tucson, AZ. The Accounts Payable Specialist is responsible for processing high-volume, full-cycle Accounts Payable, check runs, vendor communications,
and maintaining accurate accounts payable records.
Essential Functions to Include:
- Prepares accounts payable vouchers and inputs these into PC based computer system.
- Matches invoices to receivers and purchase orders, and account codes prior to entering into system.
- Checks invoices for proper extension, taxing and discounts.
- May assist in maintaining records for encumbering and paying employee and visitor travel.
- Assembles checks and purchase orders returned from Data Processing and orders them for review by the Accounting Supervisor.
- Handles all vendor correspondence via phone or e-mail.
- Receives, researches and resolves a variety of routine internal and external inquiries concerning account status, including communicating the resolution of discrepancies to appropriate persons.
- Files, maintains, and distributes accounting documents, records and reports.
- Responsible for efficiently performing all assigned general accounting functions.
- Other miscellaneous duties, as may be assigned by supervisor.
- Graduation from High School or equivalent.
- 6 months Accounts Payable and/or Accounts Receivable experience with a PC based accounting system.
AURA/CAS offers an excellent benefits package, competitive salary commensurate with experience, and a very attractive work environment.
Applicants are requested to submit a cover letter and resume to apply for this position. Please include a telephone number where we may contact you during business hours, 8 AM – 3 PM. Please reference Job #17-0203, Accounts Payable Specialist, when applying.
If you have any attachments, please save them with the following format: 17-0203_lastname_docname. Application documents that are not uploaded as part of the application may be sent to
AURA, as a leader in the astronomical community, is committed to diversity and inclusion. AURA develops and supports programs that advance our organizational commitment to diversity, broaden participation, and encourage the advancement of diversity
throughout the astronomical scientific workforce. Learn more at
As a recipient of U.S. Government funding, AURA is considered a government contractor and is subject to Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action regulations. As an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, AURA does not discriminate
based on race, sex, color, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender identity expression, lawful political affiliations, veteran status, disability, and/or any other legally protected status under applicable federal, state,
and local equal opportunity laws. The statements below as well as the requests for self-identification are required pursuant to these regulations. We encourage your participation in meeting these federal reporting requirements which are included for protection
and to assist us in our recordkeeping and reporting. Your responses are kept strictly confidential.
- Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.
- Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP
- The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access
to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure
is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information. 41
||Send This Job to a Friend