||Systems Administrator I
||The Association of Universities for Research in Astronomy, Inc. (AURA) operates several observatory centers (including the National Optical Astronomy Observatory, the National Solar Observatory, Large Synoptic Survey Telescope and the Gemini Observatory)
in the United States and Chile under cooperative agreements with the National Science Foundation.
The Computer Infrastructure Services South in La Serena, Chile has an opening for a System Administrator. As a member of the CISS team, a System Administrator shares responsibility for developing, deploying, maintaining, and providing high availability to the
computer and network systems involved with critical support services offered to users of the AURA Astronomical facilities in Chile.
Duties include computer/network system selection, acquisition, assembly, configuration, testing, roll-out, troubleshooting, upgrade, and repair of both physical and virtual systems. Additional duties include daily monitoring and maintenance of subsystems which
provide email, DNS, web services, VoIP, help desk services, security, operational health, support of Scientific data acquisition and reduction, and development of monitoring and system administration tools customized to CISS and Observatory needs.
Admins will need to communicate in both English and Spanish and work with other members of CISS, engineers, staff, scientists, associates, vendors and visitors to AURA Astronomical facilities, to understand and solve problems in person, via help desk systems,
email, and over the phone. Work outside of normal office hours is sometimes required.
Work is usually at the AURA La Serena campus but with frequent trips to Telescopes at elevations of up to 2800m.
Candidates should have excellent problem solving skills, have a fairly recent degree or certification in Computer Science or related fields, be able to contribute relevant knowledge and/or experience in areas detailed below, must be able to communicate and
get along well with diverse groups, be self motivated, work well under pressure from deadlines and comply with safety standards and procedures.
Specific Areas of Expertise Desired
Operating Systems: CentOS, Android, Raspbian, Windows
Languages & scripts: bash, csh, python, PHP, C, Perl
System imaging and Configuration Management: Cobbler
Help desk issue tracking: JIRA, GNATS.
Email support: MailScanner, Postfix, IMAP.
Databases: MySQL, Postgres
Scientific packages: IDL, IRAF
WWW server support: Apache, Drupal
WWW client support: Firefox, Chrome, Opera
Virtual machine support: QEMU/KVM, VMWare,VirtualBox
Remote file system support: NFS, Samba, Gluster, iSCSI
Authentication tools: FreeRADIUS, LDAP, Kerberos, pam, AD
Network support packages: BIND, vftp, ssh, nmap, tcpdump
System tracking tools: Nagios, perfSonar, Cactii,
VPN support: IPSec,vpnc, AnyConnect
RAID technology: mdadm, iSCSI, ZFS, Raid6, Backblaze
Computer hardware: Intel, NUC, m.2, Raspberry Pi
Network technology: SDN, DWDM, 10G, 802.1x, 802.11
Network hardware: Cisco, Brocade, HP, Linksys, Juniper
Open source security packages: bro, nessus, Wireshark
Open source network packages: pfSense, OpenWRT,
Licenciatura, University Degree and/or IT Certification
Familiarity with Networking Architecture & Processes
Spoken and written English
Spoken and written Spanish
Clean driving record.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear.
• The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms and stoop; kneel; crouch; or crawl.
• The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 5 kg and occasionally lift and/or move up to 12 kg.
• Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
• Must possess - sufficient mobility, strength, or dexterity in both arms and hands and both legs to a) reach upward, sideways, downward to work with paper files; b) sufficient mobility and dexterity to utilize computer systems, fax machines, copiers, and other
• Must possess – 1) ability to read and understand instructions, drawings, safety guides, and other written materials necessary to perform job; 2) sufficient visual capacity to perform the applicable functions without assistance of visual aids other than eye
contacts or eye glasses; 3) sufficient spoken aural capacity to hear and understand instructions, warning bells, fire alarms, or shouted instructions without assistance of auditory aids other than a hearing aid; and 4) ability to impart information orally
so that others understand and can respond appropriately.
• Must possess sufficient mobility, strength or dexterity in both arms and hands and both legs to a) grasp, push, pull, turn or otherwise manipulate tools and mechanisms; b) push, shove, pull or otherwise safely and efficiently manipulate tools or mechanisms;
c) lift, hold, maneuver, objects of 25 kg or more; d) maintain balance while performing work; e) remove parts, systems, tools of 25kg or more
• Must be able to work at an altitude of 2800m.
AURA, as a leader in the astronomical community, is committed to diversity and inclusion. AURA develops and supports programs that advance our organizational commitment to diversity, broaden participation, and encourage the advancement of diversity throughout
the astronomical scientific workforce. Learn more at http://www.aura-astronomy.org/diversity.asp.
||Send This Job to a Friend