The Association of Universities for Research in Astronomy, Inc. (AURA) operates several observatory centers (including the National Optical Astronomy Observatory, the National Solar Observatory, Large Synoptic Survey Telescope,
and the Gemini Observatory) in the United States and Chile under cooperative agreements with the National Science Foundation.
AURA is looking for a Senior Human Resources Generalist
in La Serena, Chile. The Senior Human Resources Generalist partners with AURA center management and delivers services, policies, and programs to staff across all aspects of human resources and provides assistance to Managers in the
performance of their duties. Performs independently a variety of complex administrative and record keeping functions requiring a comprehensive knowledge of Human Resources practices and AURA Center policies. Administers policies and practices relating to all
phases of human resources activity by performing the following duties. Leads on delivery of cross center programs and services. May supervise Human Resource Administrative/Generalist Staff. Works under general supervision. May be primary point of contact/specialist
for one or more functional HR specialties such as recruitment, benefits, etc.
• Maintains knowledge of legal requirements and regulatory reporting regulations affecting human resources functions and ensures policies, procedures, and reporting are in compliance.
• Handles all aspects of recruitment and selection to hire well-qualified applicants in a timely manner for designated departments. Utilizes a variety of recruiting sources, including social media. Screens, conducts assessments,
and interviews candidates. Maintains all required documentation of selection process. Manages online recruiting system and generates appropriate reports.
• Coaches and trains management on interviewing/selection, employee counseling/disciplinary action, performance management, engagement, employee development and a variety of human resources issues.
• Ensures human resources information systems are up to date and accurate.
• Coordinates the full employment life cycle for all HR-related activity including developing job descriptions, on-boarding, new hire orientation, performance management, retention strategies, and termination. Fosters a positive
attitude toward company goals.
• Maintains records of benefits plans participation such as insurance and pension plan, personnel transactions such as hires, promotions, transfers, performance reviews, and terminations, and employee statistics for government
• Oversees and administers salary and performance review programs to ensure effectiveness, compliance, and equity within organization.
• Overseas Administers benefits programs such as life, health, dental and disability insurances, pension plans, vacation, sick leave, leave of absence, and employee assistance.
• Contributes to the development and implementation of HR policies and procedures. Provides policy interpretation and general information pertaining to all areas of HR including benefits, payroll, and compensation.
• Coordinates Immigration programs with external counsel for staff and visitors.
• Assists in preparation of the annual Affirmative Action Plan and partners with Diversity Advocate in the development of workforce and diversity initiatives • Oversees HR led training programs and tuition assistance program.
• Provides input and guidance to organizational design, structure and communication of changes.
• Works closely with management and employees to improve work relationships, build morale, increase productivity and retention. Develops and supports employee morale events. Provides HR guidance and advice to employees, line
managers, and senior management, as required. • Identifies potential retention risks and develop specific plans to mitigate or address the concerns.
• Manage and resolve employee relations issues. Conducts effective counseling and thorough and objective investigations. Maintains documentation and performs exit interviews.
• Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully.
• Responds promptly to customer needs; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments.
• Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting.
• Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; responds well to questions.
• Understands change process and leads by example in supporting others through change.
• Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Supports
everyone's efforts to succeed; Recognizes accomplishments of other team members.
• Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
• Demonstrates knowledge of EEO policy; Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; educates others on the value of diversity; promotes a harassment-free environment; Builds a diverse workforce.
• Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
• Follows policies and procedures; Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; Supports affirmative action and respects diversity.
• Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
• Is consistently at work and on time; follows instructions; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
• Seeks increased responsibilities; Asks for and offers help when needed.
• Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently.
• Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position.
• Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
• All AURA employees are responsible for the proper management and control of all AURA property within their work area, whether assigned to them or someone else. This responsibility includes reporting any known missing, stolen,
or non-working property in their work area to their supervisor or the AURA Property Officer. For detailed information on proper custodial care of government property, refer to the AURA Employee Handbook at http://hr.aura-astronomy.org/?q=handbook .
• Responsible for ensuring compliance with government award terms and conditions assigned to this position or subordinates of this position as defined in the Vela Award Management system, https://cas.aura-astronomy.org/vela/login.php
• Other duties as assigned.