The Association of Universities for Research in Astronomy, Inc. (AURA) operates several observatory centers (including the National Optical Astronomy Observatory, the National Solar Observatory, Large Synoptic Survey Telescope and the Gemini Observatory)
in the United States and Chile under cooperative agreements with the National Science Foundation.
The National Solar Observatory (NSO) has an immediate opening for a Postdoctoral Research Associate. A general description of the positions is to Diagnose and correct discrepancies in SOLIS Vector Spectro Magnetograph (VSM) and GONG instruments. Derive simulated
SOLIS/VSM and GONG magnetograms by applying magnetograph observing models and data pipelines to existing MHD simulation data.
- Carries out scientific research investigations in collaboration with other members of the scientific staff.
- Performs research activities of data collection and reduction.
- Solves problems through scientific research as required to achieve assigned project or mission objectives.
- Organizes, analyzes and interprets data.
- Cooperates and coordinates closely with all personnel involved with the assigned scientific problem.
- Responsible for meeting scientific requirements of assigned work and approved time schedules when applicable.
- Performs such other duties as may be assigned.
- PhD degree (in astrophysics, physics, or a closely related field)
- Experience using Unix, IDL, or similar operating systems and data-handling programs
- Experience in analyzing data from ground-based/spaceborne (e.g., Hinode, Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO)) instruments
- Knowledge of spectro-polarimetry desirable
Please list 3 professional references in your application and attach a CV or resume (PDF files preferred) to your application. Please name any attachments with the following format: 16-0325LastnameDocname. Application documents that are not uploaded
as part of the application may be sent to
As an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, AURA does not discriminate because of race, sex, color, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, lawful political affiliations, veteran status, disability, and/or
any other legally protected status under applicable federal, state, and local equal opportunity laws.
- Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.
- Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP
- The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access
to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure
is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information.
||Send This Job to a Friend