The Association of Universities for Research in Astronomy, Inc. (AURA) operates several observatory centers (including the Large Synoptic Survey Telescope, National Optical Astronomy Observatory, the National Solar Observatory, and the Gemini Observatory)
in the United States and Chile under cooperative agreements with the National Science Foundation.
The Large Synoptic Survey Telescope (LSST) Project is in construction of a large ground based observatory in Chile. The 8.4-meter LSST will survey the entire visible sky deeply in multiple colors every week with its three-billion pixel digital camera, probing
the mysteries of Dark Matter and Dark Energy, and opening a movie-like window on objects that change or move rapidly: exploding supernovae, potentially hazardous near-Earth asteroids, and distant Kuiper Belt Objects. The LSST Project is divided into several
integrated technical components, namely the Telescope and Site (T&S) Group responsible for constructing the summit facility/telescope observatory and the base facility/data center, the Camera Group responsible for delivering the science instrument, the Data
Management (DM) Group responsible for delivering the data reduction and processing pipeline systems, the Commissioning Group responsible for integrating all subsystem components together, and Project Systems Engineering responsible for the overall requirements.
The IT Technician will be responsible for the installation and implementation of the maintenance and integrity of the LSST Chilean networks and IT resources. As a member of the LSST Data Management and Telescope and Site teams, the IT Technician will provide
onsite and remote support to our users who have critical response time requirements for development and operation of the LSST to enable astronomical research. You will be required to work independently or as part of a team to install and maintain IT equipment,
answer service desk calls, and troubleshoot problems over the phone/onsite or via remote access.
Primary responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Assist in the installation, support and maintenance of hardware and software infrastructure according to best practices
- Diagnose problems and solve technical issues, often under time constraints
- Provide documentation for work carried out
- Assist in the development of guidelines and procedures for administration best practices
- Work closely with colleagues to meet team goals and improve processes and practices
- Remain current on new technologies via independent research, internal and external training or other avenues available
- Perform other IT tasks as requested by the LSST management
- Maintain the spares logistics for the team