The National Optical Astronomy Observatory (NOAO) invites applications for a part-time Driver. This position will drive a 30+ passenger shuttle bus, a 15-passenger van, cargo truck or smaller vehicle to transport observatory personnel, visiting scientists
and NOAO cargo between NOAO-Tucson headquarters and the Kitt Peak National Observatory.
- Must operate the vehicles in a safe manner at all times and obey local, state and city traffic regulations.
- Must follow, as rigidly as conditions will permit, the posted time schedules for pickups and delivery of passengers.
- Will pick up and deliver U.S. and interoffice mail at specified postal station points on every shuttle run.
- Assists passengers during loading and discharge and ensures that all carry-on baggage and cargo is safely secured.
- Provides for the comfort, safety and welfare of passengers at all times.
- Must maintain a clean and sanitary vehicle.
- Must dress in a neat and respectable manner at all times.
- Responsible for establishing and maintaining rapport with passengers.
- Must perform pre-trip and post-trip inspections of the vehicle in accordance with the Driver’s Checklist.
- Must exercise diligence in the care and protection of the vehicle and report any defect that develops to the dispatch office.
- Must not transport unauthorized persons.
- Must maintain records and prepare reports on driving activities, passenger surveys, etc. as required.
- Must be familiar with and enforce safety regulations when in transit.
- Responsible for maintaining safe operating practices and for reporting and/or correcting unsafe conditions and/or practices.
- Responsible for safe transportation of cargo or instruments between the two sites.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- At least three year’s excellent driving experience. Previous bus driving experience preferred.
- Ability to read and understand written regulations and verbal instructions.
- Possession of Arizona Commercial Driver License with passenger and hazardous material endorsement.
- Ability to meet annual CDL medical and physical requirements.
Applicants are requested to submit a cover letter and resume to apply for this position. Please include a telephone number where we may contact you during business hours, 8 AM – 3 PM. Please reference Job #18-0046 Part-Time Driver when applying. If you
have any attachments, please save them with the following format: 18-0046_lastname_docname. Application documents that are not uploaded as part of the application may be sent to
The Association of Universities for Research in Astronomy, Inc. (AURA) manages several astronomical observatory centers (including the National Optical Astronomy Observatory, the National Solar Observatory and the Gemini Observatory) and construction
projects (Large Synoptic Survey Telescope and Daniel. K. Inouye Solar Telescope) in the United States and Chile under cooperative agreements with the National Science Foundation.
AURA, as a leader in the astronomical community, is committed to diversity and inclusion. AURA develops and supports programs that advance our organizational commitment to diversity, broaden participation, and encourage the advancement of diversity
throughout the astronomical scientific workforce. Learn more at
As a recipient of U.S. Government funding, AURA is considered a government contractor and is subject to Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action regulations. As an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, AURA does not discriminate
based on race, sex, color, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender identity expression, lawful political affiliations, veteran status, disability, and/or any other legally protected status under applicable federal, state,
and local equal opportunity laws. The statements below as well as the requests for self-identification are required pursuant to these regulations. We encourage your participation in meeting these federal reporting requirements which are included for protection
and to assist us in our recordkeeping and reporting. Your responses are kept strictly confidential.
- Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.
- Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP
- The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access
to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure
is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information. 41
||Send This Job to a Friend