||Lead Web Application Developer
The Association of Universities for Research in Astronomy, Inc. (AURA) operates several observatory centers including the National Optical Astronomy Observatory (NOAO), the National Solar Observatory (NSO), the Large Synoptic Survey Telescope (LSST) and
the Gemini Observatory in the United States and Chile, under cooperative agreements with the National Science Foundation.
The National Optical Astronomy Observatory (NOAO) headquartered in Tucson, AZ, seeks to hire a Lead Web Application Developer to provide software development support for NOAO Community Science and Data Center (CSDC), Data Management Operations (DMO), focused
on leading front-end web application development of the Petabyte-scale NOAO Science Archive
(http://archive.noao.edu). The Science Archive provides researchers with web-based access to observational data from NOAO/partner telescopes located at Kitt Peak National Observatory and Cerro Tololo Inter-American Observatory.
The position analyzes the current archive software infrastructure, gathers requirements, and creates web applications and services to enable user-friendly data discovery, browsing and download, to the scientific community and other CSDC systems (e.g. NOAO
Data Lab: http://datalab.noao.edu). This position is a fixed term position, with the opportunity for renewal.
- The position will take a lead role in modernizing web applications to support the Science Archive as well as other CSDC-wide interfaces.
- Analyzes current archive system for existing features, functionality and performance. Gathers requirements from management, scientific and technical staff, and end-users.
- Designs and implements cost-effective, portable, flexible, and sustainable software tools that provide web access to archival datasets.
- Implements a combination of open-source and in-house code to enable high availability data access to multiple simultaneous users/threads.
- Develops documented code inside of configuration management system (GIT). Establishes automated build-test-deploy workflows that lead to successful implementation on production systems.
- Supports ongoing software operations to optimize system performance while minimizing system outages.
- Research and evaluate new software technologies for continuous improvement of web application features and performance.
- Proficiency in front-end web UI design and mock-up.
- Able to provide portfolio of past accomplishments, sample code and/or open source contributions.
- Self-starter, able to build test/development environments autonomously.
- Provide leadership in software design, documentation, development standards and best practices.
- Experience with web security and authentication protocols.
- Development experience in a Linux-based environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, mathematics, engineering, or physical science. Exemplary portfolio of past professional work or open source contributions considered in lieu of degree.
To apply send cover letter and resume or CV, and please include a telephone number where we may contact you during business hours between 8 AM – 3 PM. Please reference Job #16-0267, when applying. If you have any attachments, please save them with the
following format: 16-_0267lastname_docname. Application documents that are not uploaded as part of the application may be sent to
AURA, as a leader in the astronomical community, is committed to diversity and inclusion. AURA develops and supports programs that advance our organizational commitment to diversity, broaden participation, and encourage the advancement of diversity
throughout the astronomical scientific workforce. Learn more at http://www.aura-astronomy.org/diversity.asp.
As a recipient of U.S. Government funding, AURA is considered a government contractor and is subject to Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action regulations. As an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, AURA does not discriminate
based on race, sex, color, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender identity expression, lawful political affiliations, veteran status, disability, and/or any other legally protected status under applicable federal, state,
and local equal opportunity laws. The statements below as well as the requests for self-identification are required pursuant to these regulations. We encourage your participation in meeting these federal reporting requirements which are included for protection
and to assist us in our recordkeeping and reporting. Your responses are kept strictly confidential.
Preference granted to qualified Native Americans living on or near the Tohono O'odham reservation.
- Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.
- Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP
- The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access
to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure
is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information.
||Send This Job to a Friend