The Association of Universities for Research in Astronomy, Inc. (AURA) operates several observatory centers (including the National Optical Astronomy Observatory, the National Solar Observatory, Large Synoptic Survey Telescope (LSST) and the Gemini Observatory)
in the United States and Chile under cooperative agreements with the National Science Foundation.
The Large Synoptic Survey Telescope (LSST) Project is in construction of a large ground based observatory in Chile. The 8.4-meter LSST will survey the entire visible sky deeply in multiple colors every week with its three-billion pixel digital camera, probing
the mysteries of Dark Matter and Dark Energy, and opening a movie-like window on objects that change or move rapidly: exploding supernovae, potentially hazardous near-Earth asteroids, and distant Kuiper Belt Objects. The LSST Project is divided into several
integrated technical components, namely the Telescope and Site (T&S) Group responsible for constructing the summit facility/telescope observatory and the base facility/data center, the Camera Group responsible for delivering the science instrument, the Data
Management (DM) Group responsible for delivering the data reduction and processing pipeline systems, the Commissioning Group responsible for integrating all subsystem components together, and Project Systems Engineering responsible for the overall requirements.
As an LSST Network Engineer you will be responsible for implementing and maintaining the design and integrity of the LSST networks including liaising with the Chilean and International partners and providers. This role will be responsible for participating
and helping in the design and implementation of the LSST Chilean network from the ground up. As a member of the Service Team, LSST Data Management and Telescope and Site teams, the Network Engineer will provide on-site and remote support to our users who have
critical response time requirements for developing the LSST and enabling astronomical research. You will be required to work independently or as part of a team to install and operate fiber optics and network equipment, answer service desk calls, and troubleshoot
problems over the phone/on-site or via remote access.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Install, support and maintain hardware and software infrastructure according to best practices, including routers aggregators, switches, wi-fi controllers, firewall and VPN management and administration
- Diagnose problems and solve issues, often under time constraints
- Perform network security design and integration
- Perform network design and implementation
- Assist and maintain diagnostic and network monitoring
- Provide network documentation
- Assist in the development of guidelines and procedures for administration best practices
- Work closely with colleagues to meet team goals and improve processes and practices
- Monitor and apply vendor IOS upgrades to appliances
- Remain current on new technologies via independent research, internal and external training or other avenues available
- Perform other IT tasks as requested by the I.T ManagerLSST management
- Effectively communicate with users and colleagues
Required Technical Proficiencies:
- Switching: Capacity planning & VLAN/VXLAN’s
- Routing: Internal and external protocols: RIPv2, OSPF, BGP, ISIS
- WAN Technology: MPLS, VPLS, VPN
- Voice Technology: VoIP, SIP Trunking
- Video Technology; H323
- Familiarity with Linux and Microsoft Operating Systems
- Security Appliances: Firewall, DDS
- Wireless Controllers and Deployment
- SDN and Cloud software: REST, JSON, RPC
- Virtualization Technologies: VMware, Citrix etc
- DWDM Technology
- University degree or equivalent in applicable subject
- At least 5 years experience
- CCNP or CCIE
- Spoken and written English
- Current drivers license
- Must be able to work at an altitude of 2800 meters when working at the summit of Cerro Pachon
Please list 3 professional references in your application. Please attach a statement of professional interests or cover letter and CV or resume (PDF Files preferred) to your application. Please name any attachments with the following format: 17-0003LastnameDocname.
Application documents that are not uploaded as part of the application may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
As an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, AURA does not discriminate because of race, sex, color, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, lawful political affiliations, veteran status, disability, and/or
any other legally protected status under applicable federal, state, and local equal opportunity laws.
- Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.
- Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP
- The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access
to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure
is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information.
||Send This Job to a Friend