||General Maintenance Person I
The Association of Universities for Research in Astronomy, Inc. (AURA) operates several observatory centers (including the National Optical Astronomy Observatory, the National Solar Observatory, the Large Synoptic Survey Telescope and the Gemini Observatory)
in the United States and Chile under cooperative agreements with the National Science Foundation.
Kitt Peak National Observatory (KPNO), a division of the National Optical Astronomy Observatory (NOAO) has an opening for a General Maintenance Person I. This position will work under the direction of assigned Lead, Supervisor or Manager to assist in the
maintenance and operation of the facilities at the Observatory including custodial, plumbing, carpentry, painting and general renovation/maintenance.
- Provides custodial services to buildings, offices and housing facilities as needed to maintain them in a clean and orderly condition.
- Performs general maintenance under the direction of a crafts person
- Experience in general crafts including carpentry, electrical, mechanical and plumbing and working knowledge of the same.
- General knowledge of maintenance and janitorial methods such as dusting, sweeping, mopping, vacuuming or shampooing carpets, cleaning wall, windows, restroom facilities, etc.
- General knowledge of use of tools required for custodial and maintenance duties.
- Ability to cooperate with others to work as a team, or independently as assigned.
- Basic reading, writing, and speaking skills needed to communicate with co-workers and supervisor regarding work to be done, and to report on tasks completed.
- Computer skills for basic communication a plus.
- Physically able to perform duties and work effectively at an elevation of 6800 feet.
- EMT qualifications a plus.
To apply send cover letter and CV/resume, and please include a telephone number where we may contact you during business hours between 8 AM – 3 PM. Please reference Job #17-0141 General Maintenance Person I when applying. If you have any attachments, please
save them with the following format: 17-0141_lastname_docname. Application documents that are not uploaded as part of the application may be sent to
AURA, as a leader in the astronomical community, is committed to diversity and inclusion. AURA develops and supports programs that advance our organizational commitment to diversity, broaden participation, and encourage the advancement of diversity
throughout the astronomical scientific workforce. Learn more at
As a recipient of U.S. Government funding, AURA is considered a government contractor and is subject to Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action regulations. As an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, AURA does not discriminate
based on race, sex, color, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender identity expression, lawful political affiliations, veteran status, disability, and/or any other legally protected status under applicable federal, state,
and local equal opportunity laws. The statements below as well as the requests for self-identification are required pursuant to these regulations. We encourage your participation in meeting these federal reporting requirements which are included for protection
and to assist us in our recordkeeping and reporting. Your responses are kept strictly confidential.
Preference granted to qualified Native Americans living on or near the Tohono O'odham reservation.
- Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.
- Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP
- The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access
to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure
is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information. 41
||Send This Job to a Friend