||CAS Finance Deputy
The Central Administrative Services (CAS) unit of AURA is seeking a CAS Finance Deputy for its office in Tucson, AZ. The CAS Finance Deputy will guide the overall direction of the AURA CAS Division Finance Department performing managerial tasks and highly
technical accounting and financial control work. Manage and oversee accounting and reporting functions. Supervise staff which support business operations, prepare and monitor departmental budget and personnel reviews. Coordinate and assist in the preparation
and review of major departmental work products
- Supervises the Finance Branch of AURA CAS.
- Assists in the development of administrative policies and procedures.
- Develops internal control policies, procedures and record keeping systems that comply with all relevant laws, rules, regulations and AURA CAS policies and procedures.
- Develops and implements plans to evaluate departmental procedures to ensure alignment with industry best practices.
- Oversight and review of internal accounting, budgeting and financial controls to ensure maintenance, efficiency and reliability.
- Assists in monitoring compliance with Uniform Guidance 2 CFR 200 and other internal policies and procedures.
- Assist with the development and execution of the Department's strategies, plans, goals and objectives and act as an accounting technical resource throughout the CAS team to ensure proper accounting procedures have been followed.
- Support AURA NSF funded Centers in preparation of strategic plans related to budgets and operations.
- Perform review of Balance Sheet account reconciliations, account analysis, accrual calculations, and other related accounting documents/schedules.
- Interprets financial transactions and events for economic or business decisionmakers.
- Develop annual budgets for CAS and HR functions, monitors CAS and HR financial performance.
- Calculate indirect cost recovery rates for application to AURA NSF funded Center activity.
- Support various AURA CAS projects as assigned by AURA CAS Division Chief.
- Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Certified Public Accountant preferred.
- Five years of experience as Controller, Finance Manager, or equivalent management position.
- Broad knowledge of accounting, procurement and information technology functions.
- Strong knowledge of technical aspects of company financial statements, footnotes and all other audit reports.
- Strong background in computer systems, especially networked PC‐based systems.
- Advanced skills in database and spreadsheet design.
- Ability to manage and supervise others effectively.
- Ability to cooperate with a wide variety of administrative, technical and scientific personnel in the accomplishment of specific goals.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Initiative, sound judgment, leadership abilities and a record of success.
- Willingness to accept responsibility and operate with a minimum of supervision.
AURA/CAS offers an excellent benefits package, competitive salary commensurate with experience, and a very attractive work environment.
Applicants are requested to submit a cover letter and resume to apply for this position. Please include a telephone number where we may contact you during business hours, 8 AM – 3 PM. Please reference Job #17-0276, CAS Finance Deputy, when applying.
If you have any attachments, please save them with the following format: 17-0276_lastname_docname. Application documents that are not uploaded as part of the application may be sent to
The Association of Universities for Research in Astronomy, Inc. (AURA) manages several astronomical observatory centers (including the National Optical Astronomy Observatory, the National Solar Observatory and the Gemini Observatory) and construction
projects (Large Synoptic Survey Telescope and Daniel. K. Inouye Solar Telescope) in the United States and Chile under cooperative agreements with the National Science Foundation.
AURA, as a leader in the astronomical community, is committed to diversity and inclusion. AURA develops and supports programs that advance our organizational commitment to diversity, broaden participation, and encourage the advancement of diversity
throughout the astronomical scientific workforce. Learn more at
As a recipient of U.S. Government funding, AURA is considered a government contractor and is subject to Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action regulations. As an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, AURA does not discriminate
based on race, sex, color, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender identity expression, lawful political affiliations, veteran status, disability, and/or any other legally protected status under applicable federal, state,
and local equal opportunity laws. The statements below as well as the requests for self-identification are required pursuant to these regulations. We encourage your participation in meeting these federal reporting requirements which are included for protection
and to assist us in our recordkeeping and reporting. Your responses are kept strictly confidential.
- Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.
- Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP
- The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access
to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure
is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information. 41
||Send This Job to a Friend