||Software & Systems Test Engineer
The National Solar Observatory (NSO) currently has a Software & Systems Test Engineer position open within the Daniel K. Inouye Solar Telescope (DKIST) program. The DKIST is under construction on Maui, Hawaii on the summit of Haleakala. Organizationally,
staff are located at the National Solar Observatory headquarters, housed on the Boulder campus of the University of Colorado, co-located with the National Optical Astronomy Observatories at the University of Arizona in Tucson, and in offices in Maui.
General Description of Position:
The Software & Systems Test Engineer will provide expertise for the design, development, and implementation of software and system testing infrastructure supporting the Daniel K. Inouye Solar Telescope Data Center. S/he will contribute to all aspects of
Data Center software testing, including internal production, test, and development codes as well as codes distributed to end-users. In collaboration with other Data Center staff, S/he will be responsible for the design, development, maintenance, and upgrade
of software quality assurance plans, specifications, and data, as well as relevant system functionality to provide continuing quality improvement of Data Center codes. Testing will be done across the entire stack, including development, prototyping, automated
deployment, disaster recovery, and security. The Test Engineer will support definition and implementation of the DevOps strategy to be used by the Data Center team.
- Design, develop, implement, and maintain automated testing infrastructure for Data Center software and systems
- Define, implement, and maintain test plans, specifications, and harnesses
- Perform defect and failure analysis, and track, triage, and resolve defects.
- Participate in and/or lead code and test reviews, contributing technical and domain expertise to continuous quality improvement
- Certify product releases in collaboration with Data Center team
- Support definition of software and system prototyping
- Work with end-users to identify appropriate test protocols for user-facing interfaces
- Investigate and resolve development and operational problems in collaboration with Data Center staff
- Contribute to and define software development activities and use of continuous delivery, integration, and deployment practices for DevOps
- Construct effective data quality verification protocols and codes
- Comply with applicable electrical, hardware, and software industry standards and best practices
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical or business field.
- At least six years of demonstrable, progressively responsible experience in the design, composition, and application of software and systems testing methodologies, with at least two years in a senior role
- Extensive experience designing, developing, and maintaining end-to-end, full-stack test harnesses
- Experience working in a continuous build and deployment environment.
- Extensive, demonstrable experience collaborating with software developers, database administrators and operations engineers in product delivery
- Extensive, demonstrable experience with Linux and open source technologies.
- Extensive, demonstrable experience using one or more scripting languages (e.g., Python, Ruby) for creating test platforms
- Demonstrable experience with data management systems, including RDBMS and NoSQL.
- Demonstrable experience supporting system prototyping and integration, including specification and documentation of prototype plans and management of results.
- Extensive analytical skills, supporting ongoing test maintenance, impact characterization of new feature requests, and DFMEA.
- Experience in integration testing of large scale enterprise systems.
- Experience utilizing cloud (AWS, GCP) resources to support test environments.
- Demonstrable experience developing and executing audit procedures and operationally.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to speak and write effectively in English, including preparation of technical reports.
- Occasional travel (<10%) expected.
- Experience using container technologies (e.g., Docker, Kubernetes) for software/system testing.
- Experience using provisioning toolkits (e.g., Saltstack, Puppet, Chef).
- Willingness to learn new technologies and languages as needed.
- Experience working in scientific or technical (e.g. engineering) organizations, and/or have been involved with developing system architecture serving such organizations.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to
perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear.
- The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms and stoop; kneel; crouch; or crawl.
- The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Must possess - sufficient mobility, strength, or dexterity in both arms and hands and both legs to a) reach upward, sideways, downward to work with paper files; b) sufficient mobility and dexterity to utilize computer systems, fax machines, copiers, and
other office machines.
- Must possess – 1) ability to read and understand instructions, drawings, safety guides, and other written materials necessary to perform job; 2) sufficient visual capacity to perform the applicable functions without assistance of visual aids other than
eye contacts or eye glasses; 3) sufficient spoken aural capacity to hear and understand instructions, warning bells, fire alarms, or shouted instructions without assistance of auditory aids other than a hearing aid; and 4) ability to impart information orally
so that others understand and can respond appropriately.
NSO will begin reviewing applications the week of July 10th, 2017 and will continue to accept applications until the position is filled.
Please be sure to submit a completed application and resume by no later than Friday, July 14th 2017 to be considered in the first review.
Please list 3 professional references in your application and attach a CV or resume (PDF files preferred) to your application. Please name any attachments with the following format: 17-0133LastnameDocname. Application documents that are not uploaded
as part of the application may be sent to
AURA, as a leader in the astronomical community, is committed to diversity and inclusion. AURA develops and supports programs that advance our organizational commitment to diversity, broaden participation, and encourage the advancement of diversity
throughout the astronomical scientific workforce. Learn more at http://www.aura-astronomy.org/diversity.asp.
As a recipient of U.S. Government funding, AURA is considered a government contractor and is subject to Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action regulations. As an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, AURA does not discriminate
based on race, sex, color, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender identity expression, lawful political affiliations, veteran status, disability, and/or any other legally protected status under applicable federal, state,
and local equal opportunity laws. The statements below as well as the requests for self-identification are required pursuant to these regulations. We encourage your participation in meeting these federal reporting requirements which are included for protection
and to assist us in our recordkeeping and reporting. Your responses are kept strictly confidential.
- Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.
- Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP
- The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access
to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure
is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information. 41
||Send This Job to a Friend