||The Space Telescope Science Institute (STScI), located on the Johns Hopkins University Campus in Baltimore, MD, is the science operations center for the Hubble Space Telescope and the science and mission operations center for the James Webb Space Telescope,
scheduled to launch in October, 2018. Join the team and take part in work at the forefront of astronomy in a job that offers a competitive salary and generous benefits.
The Astronomical Planning & Support Branch (APSB) in the Operations and Engineering Division at STScI is seeking a Software Engineer to support the James Webb NASA space telescope mission.
The Software Engineer develops, maintains, deploys, and supports Python-based web applications used by astronomers to plan observations for the James Webb Space Telescope. The person in this position works with teams of engineers and end users to help derive
software requirements, implementation approaches, and testing strategies and shares responsibility for support and administration of production webserver, as well as associated testing infrastructure and tools.
||The qualified candidate must have:
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, planning, and organizational skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Familiarity with data flow systems and parallel processing, various processor and operating system architectures, SOL database systems, web and network protocols, and webserver development and deployment
- A working knowledge of Object Oriented design and development
- Working knowledge of scripting languages such as bash
- A working knowledge of software distribution and installation
- Experience using software engineering tools such as debuggers, version control systems (e.g., git or subversion), and bug tracking software. Working knowledge of scripting languages such as bash.
- Good collaboration skills and a team-player mentality
Candidates must be a US citizen or Permanent Resident. ITAR clearance is required.
Candidates require a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree. A Bachelor’s degree in computer science or technically related field is preferred. 2+ years of experience in software development is required. Substitution of additional relevant education or experience for
the stated qualifications may be considered. The starting position and salary are commensurate with education and experience.
STScI offers an excellent benefits package, tuition reimbursement, competitive salaries, and a stimulating work environment. Interested candidates are requested to complete an on-line application through our website at
http://www.stsci.edu/jobs or the “Apply Online” link at the bottom of this posting. Please provide a cover letter and resume in the "Resume Upload Section." Please include job #17-0123 in the filename. Applications received
by July 14, 2017 will receive full consideration.
AURA, as a leader in the astronomical community, is committed to diversity and inclusion. AURA develops and supports programs that advance our organizational commitment to diversity, broaden participation, and encourage the advancement of diversity throughout
the astronomical scientific workforce. Learn more at
As a recipient of U.S. Government funding, AURA is considered a government contractor and is subject to Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action regulations. As an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, AURA and all of the centers, do
not discriminate based on race, sex, color, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender identity expression, lawful political affiliations, veteran status, disability, and/or any other legally protected status under applicable
federal, state, and local equal opportunity laws. The statements below as well as the requests for self-identification are required pursuant to these regulations. We encourage your participation in meeting these federal reporting requirements which are included
for protection and to assist us in our record keeping and reporting. Your responses are kept strictly confidential.
STScI sees the diversity of our staff as a strategic priority in our desire to create a first-rate scientific community. We reflect that deep commitment in strongly encouraging women, minorities, veterans and disabled individuals to apply for these opportunities.
Veterans, disabled individuals or wounded warriors needing assistance with the employment process can contact us at
email@example.com EOE/AA/M/F/D/V Voted to the Baltimore Magazine Hall of Fame in 2015 – Top 25 Places to Work in Baltimore.
- Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.
- Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP
- The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access
to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure
is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information. 41
||Send This Job to a Friend