||Join the excitement of making new space discoveries possible by becoming a member of the Commanding team at the Space Telescope Science Institute! Join our team, which develops the onboard software to drive science operations for the Hubble Space Telescope
and, the James Webb Space Telescope, scheduled to launch in 2018. Take part in a NASA mission at the forefront of astronomy in a job that offers a competitive salary and generous benefits. The Space Telescope Science Institute, located on the Johns Hopkins
University Campus in Baltimore, MD, is seeking Software Engineers for multiple openings to support the Commanding Branch (CMD) in the Operations and Engineering Division.
A successful candidate will fill various roles including:
• become knowledgeable in the operation of the James Webb Space Telescope science instruments and spacecraft
• support all aspects of front-end and back-end software design
• develop science operation products to test onboard script execution
• operate spacecraft, observatory and ground system simulators and/or actual flight software and hardware
• develop tools and applications to support testing
||Job requirements include experience with one or more of the following:
- Utilizing programming technologies to code algorithms that satisfy software requirements
- Designing and executing tests to verify software requirements, especially for end-to-end testing of software systems
- Designing and developing large complex software systems
- Experience with scientific spacecraft instrumentation command and control functions
- Software development utilizing relational databases
Qualified applicants require a Bachelor of Science degree or higher in Software Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, Astrophysics, or a related scientific field, and preferably 3+ years of recent experience in software development and testing for a NASA
scientific spacecraft. Substitution of additional relevant education or experience for the stated qualifications may be considered. Also, qualified candidates will have strong analytical, problem solving, verbal and written communication skills, and a team
player mentality. The starting salary is commensurate to the candidate’s education and experience.
Candidates must be a US citizen or Permanent Resident. Qualification for ITAR clearance is required.
STScI offers an excellent benefits package, tuition reimbursement, competitive salaries, and a stimulating work environment. Interested candidates are requested to complete an on-line application through our website at
http://www.stsci.edu/jobs or the “Apply Online” link at the bottom of this posting. Please provide a cover letter and resume in the "Resume Upload Section." Please include job #17-0136 in the filename. Applications received
by July 12, 2017 will receive full consideration.
AURA, as a leader in the astronomical community, is committed to diversity and inclusion. AURA develops and supports programs that advance our organizational commitment to diversity, broaden participation, and encourage the advancement of diversity throughout
the astronomical scientific workforce. Learn more at
As a recipient of U.S. Government funding, AURA is considered a government contractor and is subject to Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action regulations. As an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, AURA and all of the centers, do
not discriminate based on race, sex, color, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender identity expression, lawful political affiliations, veteran status, disability, and/or any other legally protected status under applicable
federal, state, and local equal opportunity laws. The statements below as well as the requests for self-identification are required pursuant to these regulations. We encourage your participation in meeting these federal reporting requirements which are included
for protection and to assist us in our record keeping and reporting. Your responses are kept strictly confidential.
STScI sees the diversity of our staff as a strategic priority in our desire to create a first-rate scientific community. We reflect that deep commitment in strongly encouraging women, minorities, veterans and disabled individuals to apply for these opportunities.
Veterans, disabled individuals or wounded warriors needing assistance with the employment process can contact us at
email@example.com EOE/AA/M/F/D/V Voted to the Baltimore Magazine Hall of Fame in 2015 – Top 25 Places to Work in Baltimore.
- Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.
- Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP
- The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access
to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure
is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information. 41
||Send This Job to a Friend