The Space Telescope Science Institute (STScI) invites applications for multiple postdoctoral positions in observational exoplanet studies. The exoplanetary community at STScI includes almost 30 scientists in a diverse and dynamic combination of senior research
staff, postdocs, and undergraduate/graduate students, with leading expertise in high-contrast imaging observations of exoplanets and disks, high-contrast instrumentation development, exoplanet transit studies, and planet characterization and atmosphere modeling.
There are currently needs in four related areas of work:
1) Laboratory instrumentation development of very high-contrast coronagraphy and wavefront control for future large segmented telescopes in space, working on our HICAT testbed in the Makidon Optics Laboratory at STScI. (Lead: Rémi Soummer)
2) Imaging studies of exoplanets and debris disks using James Webb Space Telescope (JWST) Guaranteed
Time Observations (GTO), including preparations of observations, data analysis and modeling, and assessment of performance and best observing strategies early in the JWST mission. (Leads: Marshall Perrin, Laurent Pueyo)
3) Exoplanet atmosphere characterization and retrievals using transiting observations from the Hubble
Space Telescope (HST) and JWST GTO, including preparations of observations, data analysis and modeling, and assessment of performance and best observing strategies early in the JWST mission. (Lead: Nikole Lewis)
4) Planning high-contrast imaging of exoplanets with the WFIRST Coronagraph Instrument as part of one of the WFIRST Science Investigation Teams for CGI, including analysis of simulated coronagraph data and atmospheric retrievals for detected planets. (Lead:
Applicants should indicate which area(s) of work they are applying for specifically. Depending on interests and expertise of the candidate, positions covering a combination of the projects above might be considered.
Applicants should have obtained by the starting date a Ph.D. in astronomy, optics, or a related field. The start date of the appointment is flexible; earlier dates are preferred. The appointment is for two years, with a possible renewal for a third year.
Applicants are requested to complete an on-line application:
http://www.stsci.edu/institute/employment and attach ONE PDF document in the “resume upload” section including the following materials: curriculum vitae, list of publications, and a brief statement of current and future research interests. Please include
16-0294 in the file name.
Please also arrange to have three letters of reference sent to
Completed applications received by January 1, 2017 will receive full consideration. Questions regarding this position are welcome and may be directed to Remi Soummer (email@example.com), Nikole Lewis (firstname.lastname@example.org).
STScI sees the diversity of our staff as a strategic priority in our desire to create a first-rate scientific community. We reflect that deep commitment in strongly encouraging women, minorities, veterans and disabled individuals to apply for these opportunities.
As an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, STScI does not discriminate because of race, sex, color, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, lawful political affiliations, veteran status, or mental or physical handicap. Veterans,
disabled or wounded warriors needing assistance with the employment process can contact us at email@example.com. EOE/AA/M/F/D/V
Included Benefits: Salaries and benefits are commensurate with those of AURA member universities. Included Benefits: -Medical, dental, prescription, and vision -Vacation: Up to 5 weeks of paid vacation a year -Sick Leave: Up to 12 sick days a year -Paid
Holidays: 7 regular holidays and 3 personal holidays -Employer-sponsored Retirement Plan: direct company contribution -Employee Voluntary Retirement Savings Plan -Flexible Work Schedules -Telecommuting Options Available -Free Parking -Flexible Spending Accounts
-Employee Assistance Program -Company-paid Life, Short-term Disability, and Long-term Disability.
- Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.
- Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP
- The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access
to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure
is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information.
||Send This Job to a Friend