||2D / 3D Motion Designer
The Space Telescope Science Institute is the science operations center for the Hubble Space Telescope and the science and mission operations center for the James Webb Space Telescope. The Office of Public Outreach produces products and services that are
the backbone of the news, education, and public outreach efforts for the missions. The achievements of the office helped to make the Hubble Space Telescope one of the most universally recognized scientific endeavors.
The Office of Public Outreach is seeking an 2D/3D motion designer to create visual stories and effects for news releases, educational material and outreach projects. Animations will serve a range of audience types and will range from high definition output
to mobile application use. Special emphasis is placed on visually communicating complex ideas in clear and concise ways, helping people to understand and be engaged by astronomy and the sciences.
Candidates must have experience with both 2D and 3D animation techniques and visual story telling. Command of graphic design, modeling, particle systems, programming languages, variety of data sets, creating materials and textures, lighting, and rendering
techniques is essential. Must be adept at understanding and working with technical information and possess a diverse range of skills, including a mastery of creative thinking, design, and craftsmanship. Must be enthusiastic about astronomy and the sciences.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Create unique and innovative animations that serve a range of audience types
• Create motion graphic visuals that helps viewers comprehend science concepts and information
• Responsible for creating storyboards
• Responsible for translating science concepts into understandable visual stories
• Work with content experts to review and edit motion elements
• Make necessary adjustments and alterations at all stages of the animation’s production
• Work in an interactive manner with project team
• Able to deliver on schedule
• Work with graphic designers, 3D artist and video producers in collaboration throughout the production
• Maintain proficiency in Adobe Creative Cloud (AE, PS, PR)
• Maintain proficiency in Autodesk Maya software
• Maintain proficiency in programming languages
• Ability to manipulate, understand and work with a variety of simulation data sets; 2D, 3D and Large data
• Keep track of all assets for each project file
• Keep pace with contemporary animation and motion graphic practices and technology
||Candidates require a Bachelor’s degree, preferably in animation, art and design, film and video, multimedia or related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Programming experience and working with a variety of data sets required.
• Fluent understanding of the principles of design, 2D motion design and 3D animation
• Understanding of color theory and how to effectively apply color to different designs
• Proficient in Autodesk Maya, Adobe Creative Cloud (AE, PS, PR)
• Working knowledge of Final Cut Pro Collaborative Skills
• Ability to incorporate data sets into 2D and 3D software packages
• Excellent customer service skills; proactive, collaborative, and responsible
• Outstanding communication skills, both verbal and written
• Ability to communicate through multiple channels with various audiences at every level of understanding
• Outstanding organizational skills, including the ability to plan, manage, and execute multiple tasks within schedule and scope
• Ability to contribute as part of a team and build consensus by actively listening, and giving and receiving constructive feedback
• Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, with an attention to detail
• Ability to adhere to established standards and practices, proactively communicating progress of projects and maintaining an archive of work
STScI offers an excellent benefits package, tuition reimbursement, competitive salaries, and a stimulating work environment. Interested candidates are requested to complete an on-line application through our website at http://www.stsci.edu/jobs or the “Apply
Online” link at the bottom of this posting. Please provide a resume in the "Resume Upload Section." Please include job #17-0049 in the filename. Applications received by March 31, 2017 will receive full consideration.
AURA, as a leader in the astronomical community, is committed to diversity and inclusion. AURA develops and supports programs that advance our organizational commitment to diversity, broaden participation, and encourage the advancement of diversity throughout
the astronomical scientific workforce. Learn more at http://www.aura-astronomy.org/diversity.asp.
As a recipient of U.S. Government funding, AURA is considered a government contractor and is subject to Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action regulations. As an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, AURA and all of the centers, do
not discriminate based on race, sex, color, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender identity expression, lawful political affiliations, veteran status, disability, and/or any other legally protected status under applicable
federal, state, and local equal opportunity laws. The statements below as well as the requests for self-identification are required pursuant to these regulations. We encourage your participation in meeting these federal reporting requirements which are included
for protection and to assist us in our record keeping and reporting. Your responses are kept strictly confidential.
STScI sees the diversity of our staff as a strategic priority in our desire to create a first-rate scientific community. We reflect that deep commitment in strongly encouraging women, minorities, veterans and disabled individuals to apply for these opportunities.
Veterans, disabled individuals or wounded warriors needing assistance with the employment process can contact us at email@example.com EOE/AA/M/F/D/V Voted to the Baltimore Magazine Hall of Fame in 2015 – Top 25 Places to Work in Baltimore.
- Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.
- Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP
- The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access
to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure
is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information.
||Send This Job to a Friend