||Online Technologies Specialist
Join the team that operates and manages the Hubble Space Telescope and its successors, the James Webb Space Telescope and WFIRST. Take part in work at the forefront of astronomy in a job that will allow you to be part of history. The Space Telescope Science
Institute is located on the Johns Hopkins University campus in Baltimore, MD.
The Office of Public Outreach (OPO) is seeking an Online Technologies Specialist having a minimum of 3-5 years’ experience in a technical field. As a member of OPO, this individual will work as a technical support generalist to assist with multiple projects,
including websites, live streamed and social media events, third-party software, and more. This position will also serve as the primary point of technical contact for non-development technical projects within OPO.
- Act as OPOs technical generalist and point of contact for implementation and support of technical projects
- Act as liaison with ITSD to upgrade and maintain OPO servers, development environments, and related systems
- Work with website content projects, as needed
- Proactively maintain systems and applications, making recommendations for improvements Work as part of a team to test and deploy applications
- Support and troubleshoot live streaming events as requested
- Troubleshoot user problems to find effective solutions; follow up
- Maintain legacy systems as needed and assist with transition to newer technologies
- Work with third-party applications
- Research and propose innovative solutions that provide significant improvements to quality, usability, performance, or cost
- Accurately report plans and progress to users and management
- Share technical knowledge and expertise
- Be a collaborator on the OPO technical team
Qualified candidates should possess:
- Outstanding organizational skills, including the ability to plan, manage, and execute multiple tasks within schedule and scope
- Excellent customer service skills; proactive, collaborative, and responsible
- Skilled in technical problem diagnosis and resolution, including the ability to find the root causes of problems and identify effective solutions
- Understanding of websites and web architectures
- Ability to quickly learn new technologies and support them
- Ability to develop strong cross-divisional professional relationships
- Understanding of basic audio-visual concepts and tools
- Ability to contribute as part of a team and build consensus by actively listening, and giving and receiving constructive feedback
- Working familiarity with social media
- Ability to work iteratively with project teams
- Ability to communicate through multiple channels with various audiences at every level of understanding
Substitution of additional relevant education or experience for stated qualifications may be considered. STScI offers an excellent benefits package, tuition reimbursement, competitive salaries, and a stimulating environment. Interested candidates are requested
to complete an on-line application through our website at
http://www.stsci.edu/institute/employment and attach ONE PDF including a cover letter and resume in the "Resume Upload Section." Please include job # 17-0250 in the filename. Applications received by December 1, 2017 will receive full consideration. Campaign
will stay open until the position has been filled.
As a recipient of U.S. Government funding, AURA is considered a government contractor and is subject to Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action regulations. As an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, AURA and all of the centers,
do not discriminate based on race, sex, color, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender identity expression, lawful political affiliations, veteran status, disability, and/or any other legally protected status under applicable
federal, state, and local equal opportunity laws. The statements below as well as the requests for self-identification are required pursuant to these regulations. We encourage your participation in meeting these federal reporting requirements which are included
for protection and to assist us in our record keeping and reporting. Your responses are kept strictly confidential.
STScI sees the diversity of our staff as a strategic priority in our desire to create a first-rate scientific community. We reflect that deep commitment in strongly encouraging women, minorities, veterans and disabled individuals to apply for these opportunities.
Veterans, disabled individuals or wounded warriors needing assistance with the employment process can contact us at
email@example.com EOE/AA/M/F/D/V Voted to the Baltimore Magazine Hall of Fame in 2015 – Top 25 Places to Work in Baltimore.
- Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.
- Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP
- The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access
to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure
is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information. 41
||Send This Job to a Friend