Far-distant galaxies from the beginning of time. Fiery stars born in clouds of gas and dust. You’ve seen the pictures; now be a part of the history. Join the team that operates the Hubble Space Telescope and its successor, the James Webb Space Telescope
for NASA. Experience the wonder of the 21st century space exploration in a job that offers a competitive salary and generous benefits.
The Information Technology Services Division (ITSD) is seeking a mid-level web developer to become a member of our website development team. This team develops the technical infrastructure for the primary website and related services for STScI missions.
The main responsibility of the individual filling this position will be creating website functionality, based on system and customer requirements, within
our Java-based Jahia CMS. Most projects involve developing software applications as part of a team environment with science staff, technical staff and external vendors to coordinate and plan activities.
- Provide significant technical and functional development to deliver the new STScI website.
- Collaborate with internal teams, project managers, developers, curators and content managers understand requirements and successfully provide website functionality.
- Contribute to the design and implementation of content delivery workflows.
- Write well designed, testable, efficient code by using best software development practices
- Design and implement intuitive user interfaces and modular web templates using HTML/CSS best practices
- Suggest new features to improve program navigation and operation
- Evaluate and recommend tools and extensions to improve the website content editor and developer environments.
- Create user and technical documentation
- Provide user support, education and maintenance for the STScI primary website.
- Provide technical guidance for addressing requests while balancing branding, UX, consistency and overall support considerations.
- Develop and deliver comprehensive statistics, monitoring and reporting for website services.
- Stay up-to-date with industry developments
The successful candidate should possess:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or software engineering. Master’s degree is a plus.
- 3+ years of programming experience in Java (including JSP) and one or more web scripting languages such as Python. Familiarity with Spring is a plus.
- Knowledge and 1+ years of experience working directly with content management systems (e.g. Jahia, Drupal, Site Executive, Umbraco, DNN/DotNetNuke).
- Proactive and effective problem solving, organizational skills and time management skills, including a track record of meeting deadlines, planning for contingencies and appropriately escalating issues.
- Strong interpersonal and written/ oral communication skills.
- Team player and team builder
- Track record for high quality customer service and maintaining professionalism even under stress.
Applicants are requested to complete an on-line application through our website at:
http://www.stsci.edu/institute/employment and attach ONE PDF document in the “resume upload” section including the following materials: resume and contact information for three professional references.
Please include #16-0304 in the file name. Position will stay open until it has been filled.
STScI sees the diversity of our staff as a strategic priority in our desire to create a first-rate scientific community. We reflect that deep commitment in strongly encouraging women, minorities, veterans and disabled individuals to apply for these opportunities.
As an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, STScI does not discriminate because of race, sex, color, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, lawful political affiliations, veteran status, or mental or physical disability
and/or any other legally protected status under applicable federal, state, and local equal opportunity laws. Veterans, disabled or wounded warriors needing assistance with the employment process can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. EOE/AA/M/F/D/V
- Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.
- Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP
- The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access
to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure
is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information.
||Send This Job to a Friend