The Instruments Division is seeking a qualified individual to fill the new position of Project Scientist for JWST User support.
The Project Scientist for JWST User Support has a key leadership role and a broad range of responsibilities aimed at maximizing the scientific impact of the JWST mission within the astronomical community through effective User Support.
The Project Scientist for JWST User Support will report to the INS Division Head, and work closely with the INS Division Head, Deputies, JWST Team leads, JWST MO, and SMO to coordinate the development of the JWST User Support Infrastructure.
The User Support Project Scientist will focus primarily on the oversight and coordination of the new JWST user support system. This system will deliver to the astronomical community a coherent and comprehensive set of documentation,
web sites, and user interfaces, with two main goals in mind: shortening the learning curve for astronomers, making it easier for them to submit successful observing proposals, and maximizing the science return from the new mission.
The User Support Project Scientist keeps the astronomical community user experience in mind. The User Support Project Scientist will coordinate the JWST user support effort by having regular meetings with the Working Group Leads
for JDox, APT, ETC and the Pipeline, the ERS User Support Lead, the Help Desk Lead, and the Science and JWST Mission Offices. The prime responsibility will be to set up the processes to coordinate all user support efforts into a single coherent framework.
Specific duties and responsibilities include:
- Establish an information flow for user support between the INS teams, helpdesk, and documentation systems
- Implement a complete and current documentation system
- Develop the procedures for INS technical reviews of the proposals given available resources
- Develop appropriate interfaces with Science Mission Office (SMO) and JWST Mission Office (JWSTMO) for user support
- Establish the process for Contact Scientist (CS) reviews of proposals with the ERS User Support Lead, the team leads, program coordinators, appropriate mission offices and SMO
- Establish the helpdesk processes to understand the needs of the users, and to communication those needs to the relevant people
- Setup appropriate communication pathways for CS, program coordinators, and the principal investigators (PIs)
- Setup communication pathways for technical support for the TAC meetings
- Setup coordinated support structure for dealing with the OTO and GO proposals
Candidates for this position must have a Ph.D. or equivalent degree in astronomy, physics, or planetary science, and have postdoctoral experience demonstrating a distinguished record of independent research or technical innovation.
STScI is committed to equal opportunity, and women and minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.
Applicants should submit the following materials in ONE PDF file including: a letter of application, a curriculum vitae and bibliography. Applications received by July 24, 2017 will receive full consideration. This position will be for three years, renewable
depending on needs of the JWST project. This position is open to all internal staff (i.e. AURA, CSA, ESA, JHU contract).
- Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.
- Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP
- The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access
to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure
is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information. 41
||Send This Job to a Friend