The Space Telescope Science Institute is the science operations center for the Hubble Space Telescope and the science and mission operations center for the James Webb Space Telescope. The Office of Public Outreach produces products and services that are
the backbone of the news, education, and public outreach efforts for the missions. The achievements of the office helped to make the Hubble Space Telescope one of the most universally recognized scientific endeavors.
This creative and innovative office is seeking a mid-level web developer with front-end development experience to become a member of the website development team. The team develops Institute websites, supporting both the STScI organizational website as well
as individual mission and project outreach sites.
The main responsibilities of the individual filling this position will be building website functionalities and front end code based on design documents, and system and customer requirements, within our Java-based Jahia CMS. Projects involve development within
a team environment with outreach staff, technical staff, and external vendors to handle and plan activities.
Responsibilities include the following:
- Provide significant technical and functional development for STScI websites
- Collaborate across divisions with internal teams, project managers, developers, and curators to understand requirements and successfully provide website functionality and appearance
- Perform front-end development on the Jahia CMS as requested by STScI staff and approved by OPO management
- Ability to work on different projects concurrently, taking different roles as requested
- Write well-designed, testable, efficient code by using the best software development practices
- Design and implement intuitive user interfaces and modular web templates using HTML/CSS standard methodologies
- Work closely with curators, web designers and back-end developers to ensure the implementation meets functional description, reusability, and sustainability requirements.
- Suggest new features to improve program navigation and operation
- Evaluate and recommend tools and extensions to improve the website content editor and developer environments.
- Build user and technical documentation
- Provide user support, education and maintenance processes for websites
- Provide technical mentorship for addressing requests while balancing branding, UX, consistency and overall support considerations
- Work with curators to successfully implement Google Analytics on the sites
- Work with OPO staff to ensure sites are ADA-compliant
- Stay up-to-date with industry developments
You should possess:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent of education and experience. Degree in computer science, mathematics, science, engineering, or a related field preferred. Master’s degree desirable.
- 2+ years of programming experience in one or more web scripting languages, including Java
- Knowledge and 1+ years of experience working directly with content management systems (e.g., Jahia, Sitecore, Drupal, Site Executive, Umbraco)
- Ability to contribute as part of a team and build consensus by actively listening, and giving and receiving constructive feedback
- Proactive and effective problem solving, organizational skills and time management skills, including a track record of meeting deadlines, planning for contingencies, and appropriately calling out issues
- Excellent customer service skills; proactive, collaborative, responsible, and able to multi-task
- Outstanding communication skills, both verbal and written
- Track record for high quality customer service and maintaining integrity even under stress
- Experience with Ruby on Rails or PHP is a plus
Interested applicants are requested to complete an on-line application through our website at
http://www.stsci.edu/oppprtunities and attach a resume in the Resume Upload section. Please include #18-0023 in the file name. Applications received by March 31, 2018 will receive full consideration.
STScI sees the diversity of our staff as a strategic priority in our desire to create a first-rate scientific community. We reflect that deep commitment in strongly encouraging women, minorities, veterans and disabled individuals to apply for these opportunities.
As an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, STScI does not discriminate because of race, sex, color, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, lawful political affiliations, veteran status, or mental or physical handicap.
Individuals with disabilities, veterans or wounded warriors needing assistance with the employment process can contact us at email@example.com. EOE/AA/M/F/D/V
- Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.
- Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP
- The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access
to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure
is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information. 41
||Send This Job to a Friend