||Anesthesia Technician - Surgery
Hours: Full Time; Monday - Friday; 6:45 - 3:15
Location: The Polyclinic First Hill Surgery Center
Under the direction of the Director of Nursing or Director the Anesthesia tech assists the licensed anesthesia providers in the acquisition, preparation and application of the equipment and supplies required for the administration of anesthesia. Anesthesia
technicians provide support in anesthesia for routine and complex surgical cases. They provide this service by preparing and maintaining patient monitoring devices and anesthesia delivery systems before, during and after anesthesia. The role includes equipment
maintenance and servicing such as cleaning, sterilizing, assembling, calibrating and testing, troubleshooting, requisitioning and recording of inspections and maintenance of anesthesia equipment. Under direct supervision of the Anesthesia provider they may
operate a variety of mechanical, pneumatic and electronic equipment used to monitor, evaluate and manage the patient undergoing anesthesia. The anesthesia tech will participate in OR / Procedure room turnover and will perform activities as directed to ensure
efficiency and safe patient care in the Surgery/Procedure environment. Actively participates in outstanding customer service and accepts responsibility in maintaining relationships that are equally respectful to all.
- Under the direction of the Anesthesiologist or CRNA assists anesthesia professional staff as requested: Assists in preparation and draping of patient for invasive monitoring/ procedures by licensed anesthesia providers. Assists and anticipates needs of
licensed anesthesia providers in procedures such as, regional anesthesia, glideslope intubation and nerve catheter insertion, and is familiar with the ASA Difficult Airway Algorithm. Aids in preparation of patients for monitoring and including but not limited
to placement of BP cuff, ECG leads, Pulse Oximeter, positioning. Sets up OR for cases, which may include but is not limited to the following: Preparation of laryngoscope and intubation equipment, IV solution and tubing set-up.
- Makes available, assembles, and assists with operation of specialized equipment.
- Maintains and organizes the anesthesia environment, equipment, supplies to facilitate department functions. Maintains the availability of necessary equipment in each operating room. Participates in room turnovers to ensure efficient flow of cases. Provides
peri-operative technical support to the anesthesia professional staff for delivery of patient care
- Demonstrates detailed technical knowledge and troubleshooting ability for anesthesia delivery system, scavenger system, gas analyzer, EKG, pulse oximeter and any other anesthesia related equipment. Responds to and investigates all anesthesia machine alarms.
Ensures preventative maintenance is completed as required. Reports malfunctioning equipment and follows through to ensure replacement.
- Promotes a safe environment. Demonstrates appropriate action in emergency situations, demonstrates awareness and control of hazards which may endanger patients, visitors and employees, identifies and reports environmental concerns to the management team.
Ensures adherence to appropriate regulatory standards, policies and procedures evidenced by maintaining appropriate documentation as required.
- Follows CDC isolation guidelines, demonstrates appropriate use of PPE, performs hand washing according to policy and enforces safety regulations. Strictly adheres to all infection control practices. Demonstrates knowledge of decontamination and disinfection
principles related to anesthesia equipment.
- Maintains competency by attending departmental in service training. Certified Anesthesia Techs attend approved in service education to maintain certification.