Ascendium Education Group (formerly Great Lakes Higher Education Corporation) has been helping people fulfill their potential through the transformative power of education for over half a century. We promote postsecondary student success in a variety of
ways: We’re one of the nation’s biggest higher education philanthropies, awarding tens of millions of dollars per year in grants aimed at helping more low-income students, students of color and first-generation students complete postsecondary degrees and credentials.
We help student loan borrowers avoid and recover from the devastating impact of default. And we develop and market products and services that help colleges better support their students’ financial well-being.
Join our team of professionals with this exciting opportunity for a Senior Internal Auditor
in our Madison, WI office. This position is responsible for assisting in the execution of the annual internal audit plan. The Senior Internal Auditor will assist by performing and documenting compliance, operational, and financial audits that add value
to Ascendium by validating compliance with applicable laws, regulations and contracts and identifying opportunities for process improvements.
Specific responsibilities for the Senior Internal Auditor will include:
- Leading and conducting internal audit assignments
- Obtaining an understanding of compliance requirements, policies, and procedures related to business processes
- Assisting with developing audit test procedures
- Performing audit fieldwork, such as reviewing documents and transactions
- Preparing and documenting detailed workpapers throughout all audit phases
- Reporting testing results to Internal Audit Management
- Evaluating workpapers and draft reports prepared by Internal Audit staff
Candidates for the Senior Internal Auditor position must have knowledge equivalent to a bachelor's degree in accounting or a related field with 4-6 years of auditing or similar experience. Current certification as a Certified Public Accountant with Public
Accounting experience is a plus!
Ascendium is looking for a candidate with the following skills and qualifications:
People Skills for the Senior Internal Auditor Position
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Strong ability to create and maintain positive customer relationships
- Conducts work in a professional and ethical manner
- Ability to effectively adapt to change
- Offers ideas and solutions to customers and teammates
Process Skills for the Senior Internal Auditor Position
- Excellent writing skills
- Experience interviewing business process owners
- Experience documenting business processes
- Ability to comprehend regulations, policies, and/or procedures and develop appropriate test plans
- Ability to identify business objectives, risks, and controls
- Ability to identify root causes of issues and explain resulting impacts
- Ability to effectively organize and manage tasks and projects
Technical Skills for the Senior Internal Auditor Position
- Analytical thinking
- Working knowledge of accounting and auditing concepts
- Experience implementing a prescribed audit methodology
- Experience using data analysis tools
- Experience using audit workpaper software
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office software
This position requires occasional travel related to audits and continuing education.
If you're interested in this job opening, please visit our careers website at
https://www.ascendiumeducation.org/careers. Select the option to apply online, create your profile, and fill out the application for the job opening you are interested in. A fully completed application must be submitted to be considered for this position.
Ascendium is an equal opportunity employer of veterans and individuals with disabilities. We invite all applicants to complete the Voluntary Affirmative Action questions when submitting application materials. The questions are found at the end of the online
application process. To learn more about our commitment to Equal Employment Opportunity, please visit our
Ascendium Education Group employees enjoy an
outstanding benefit package designed to provide employees and their families with a high degree of security.
Ascendium has contractual obligations that require criminal, employment and education background investigations as a condition of employment.