||Commercial Operations Analyst
|Subject to DOT Regulations
|Percent of Travel Required
||Commercial Power Operations Analyst is a 24-month real-time operations rotation program. Ascension to higher or equivalent permanent role is dependent on performance, proficiency on processes and market fundamentals, and other minimum requirements. Ascension
to a higher or equivalent permanent role can happen in less than 2 years but no earlier than 1 year into this role (certain exceptions may apply).
Expected to rotate regional responsibilities within 24 months, up to 8 months for each region (ERCOT, WEST, EAST). The Commercial Analyst will be trained and is expected to retain such knowledge on market and power generation fundamentals, as well as various
daily commercial operations, necessary to assume higher or equivalent permanent responsibilities/role, including but not limited to Real Time Power Operator role.
Within the 24-month program, the analyst is expected to make material contributions in the respective region for the corresponding tasks assigned and trained on for any given period of time, which may include the following:
• Performs power scheduling (ISO or traditional) and coordinates NERC-Tags with appropriate counterparties.
• Schedules, controls and dispatches output for Calpine’s generating units including conducting commercial transactions and monitoring scheduling activities on one desk. Optimizes economics of owned assets in the real-time and day-ahead environments, which
may include conducting real-time (hourly, daily) purchase and sales transactions to increase margin and lower power costs, analyzing and reacting to current market and competitive conditions, monitoring scheduled transactions, re-supplying and rescheduling
power in the event of curtailments, and executing opportunistic business opportunities that create value for Calpine, without compromising company guidelines for risk management.
• Determines generation requirements to meet Calpine’s obligations through monitoring of real-time status information pertaining to available generation, and identifies excess generation available for the spot market. Communicates unit start up/shut down to
plants for the trading organization. Determines what actions to take to ensure reliable operation of the power grid. Communicates with the control area operator/ISO to maintain stability including coordination of communication and data exchange (real-time,
day-ahead, historical) among Calpine’s generating plants and customers (e.g. independent system operators, power pools and transmission operations).
• Notifies appropriate internal and external customers of outages and limitations in a timely manner.
• Focuses on optimizing economics of owned assets in the real-time and day-ahead environments, which may include conducting real-time (hourly, daily) purchase and sales transactions to increase margin and lower power costs, analyzing and reacting to current
market and competitive conditions, monitoring scheduled transactions, re-supplying and rescheduling power in the event of curtailments, and executing opportunistic business opportunities that create value for Calpine, without compromising company guidelines
for risk management. Accurately enters all trading activities in designated databases/tools.
• Reviews, analyzes, and identifies relevant ISO, RTO, NERC rules, regulations, protocols affecting Commercial Operations;
• Recommends, develops, implements, and endorses standard processes, including preparing and coordinating all related documentation, assessing and defining project requirements, delivery platform, testing, troubleshooting, and monitoring continued compliance
on processes, procedures, rules and protocols;
• Maintains, sustains process implementation, and identifies opportunities for continuous improvement and solutions to on-going concerns of Commercial Operations;
• Champions development and improvement of commercial operations bid tools or enterprise-wide bid modelling;
• Develops standard reporting for timely Day-Ahead & Real-Time operations;
• Performs Ad-hoc responsibilities for Commercial Operations, as necessary.
||• Bachelor’s degree in quantitative fields such as Mathematics, Computational science, Engineering, physics, economics, finance, and accounting is required; (Audit & Compliance or Project Management background is a plus)
• 0-7 years’ relevant experience.
• Strong analytical aptitude, preferably with in-depth appreciation of ISO rules and regulations, as well as profit and loss
• Team player who can dive into details, effectively communicate with various organizations, and be productive in brainstorming sessions, but can work autonomously on projects.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills, Strong presentation skills, & Detail-oriented
• Preferred knowledge in Power industry, ISO (i.e. CAISO, PJM, ERCOT, NYISO, ISO-NE, MISO) operations, compliance, business process improvements.
• Advanced Proficiency in Microsoft applications; VBA coding is a plus
Ideal candidate will be hired commensurate with experience.
- Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities.
- Calpine is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and/or mental disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment and need special assistance or an accommodation to use
our website or to apply for a position, please send an e-mail with your request to firstname.lastname@example.org. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation are made on case-by-case basis.
- Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP
||Send This Job to a Friend