||Dean of Students (2017-18, CA)
||Aspire Public Schools
||Bay Area, Central Valley, Los Angeles
The Dean of Students is responsible for supporting the site principal in building a culture that fosters respect and is driven by the principals of “College for Certain”. This valuable role will integrate strong models of relationship development, collaborative
learning along with conflict resolution skills through managing student behavior that allows our students to thrive in their learning environments.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Student Life & Culture
• Implement, model and enforce policies and practices as they relate to student discipline and Aspire cultural norms.
• Respond to complaints or investigations involving student behavior.
• Participates and lead when required parents conferences involving matters related to discipline and attendance.
• Document, manage and report on student discipline data utilizing systems such as OnCourse.
• Oversee and develop student mediation/conflict resolution programs.
• Respond to and participate in complaints or investigations of student misbehavior. Work with school site staff such as principal, psychologists and counselors in determining in making appropriate recommendation for resolutions.
• Provide supervision of students during school sponsored activities.
• Plan and organize extracurricular activities that support the development of student interpersonal skills and relationships.
• Lead student life activities including athletics, programs, social activities, music and drama activities, student governments, assemblies, contests and publications, as appropriate.
• Manage relationships with outside vendors, contractors and entities that provide student activities, as necessary.
• Assign work of, supervise and evaluate direct reports.
• Effectively build and maintain relationships with parents, community stakeholders, sponsoring district and neighborhood schools that establish mutual trust, respect and cooperation.
• Acts as a resource partner to school faculty with classroom management including support of academic programs are operating in a professional manner and in compliance with applicable regulations. May support such academic programs as; Special Education services,
CST, CAHSEE, CELDT and any other required assessments.
• Work collaboratively with Principal and Home Office to achieve site and organizational goals.
• Lead projects as assigned by principal that may include, process improvement, cycle of inquiry-driven and/or instructional improvements.
• Lead and participate in appropriate staff meetings and trainings including traveling within and outside of school region.
• Collaboratively work with students, parents and school staff to build a learning environment that is safe and productive.
• Adopts and manages processes to safeguard students while on campus.
• Manages emergency issues in alignment with Aspire practices while ensuring the learning environment is positive and productive.
• Participates and trains staff on safety drills, emergency plans, and policy development related to safety.
• Demonstrate knowledge of, and support, Aspire Public Schools mission, vision, value statements, standards, policies and procedures, operating instructions, confidentiality standards, and the code of ethical behavior.
• Performs other related duties as required and assigned.
||1) Required knowledge, skills & abilities:
• Knowledge of business and management principals and processes involving; program development, planning, resource allocation and coordination of people and resources.
• Excellent organization, time management and follow-up skills; high sense of urgency; demonstrated ability to successfully handle multiple projects concurrently; ability to work as a team and in stressful environments.
• Ability to provide excellent communication and present information and ideas so that others will understand.
• Knowledge of how to interact, develop interpersonal relationships and work collaborative with persons from varying backgrounds and experiences.
• Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation and ability to make assessments and recommendations.
• Knowledge of applicable and appropriate strategies of conflict resolution methods.
• Knowledge of applicable laws, Education code, regulations that govern educational practices.
• Ability to collect, analyze and interpret data.
2) Minimum educational level:
• Bachelor’s Degree required; Masters or Ph.D. in Education preferred
• Valid credential preferred
3) Experience required:
• 3+ years working in underserved communities as a full-time teacher, required
• 5+years teaching and/or administrative experience, preferred
||Send This Job to a Friend