||Dean of Instruction (2017-18, CA)
||Aspire Public Schools
||Bay Area, Central Valley, Los Angeles
||The Dean of Instruction assists the site principal in developing a healthy school community and culture under the principals of “College for Certain”. This role is primarily focused on assisting the school in developing and refining the academic program
provided to students. Deans of Instruction focus their energies on staff professional development and support, aligning educational offerings to match student needs and evaluating the success of the academic program. Due to the integrative nature of schooling,
this position may also be part of leadership teams that examine issues pertaining to school culture, compliance and a wide variety of tasks at the discretion of the principal. The Dean of Instruction may be involved more with teacher coaching or have a more
student facing role, depending on the needs of the school.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Instruction, Monitoring, & Staff Development
• Support and assist administration with efforts to ensure academic and operational programs of high quality and in compliance with any applicable regulations.
• Design and implementation of instructional programs that strengthen teaching skills and advancement of students.
• Maintain curriculum standards through sound leadership practices that can be demonstrated through coaching, modeling and instruction for teaching staff.
• Participates in and conducts formal as well as informal classroom observations.
• Plan and conduct teacher training programs and conferences in relation to new classroom procedures, instructional materials and equipment, and teaching aids.
• Monitor, identify trends, and analyze data including report preparation to increase student achievement using such systems as OnCourse and PowerSchool.
• Coordinate and/or support Cycle of Inquiry sessions.
• Participate in and/or chair the RTI committee.
• Coordinate with after-school programs and other intervention personnel to insure coherent supports for students.
• Support teachers in developing and fostering strong classroom climates that support student academic achievement.
• Provide support with academic counseling and monitoring of student class schedules.
• Provide direct instruction to students in teaching coursework based on school site needs.
• Oversee administration of CST, CAHSEE, CELDT and other state or Aspire-required assessments.
• Participate in and/or represent the principal in IEP or 504 meetings as required.
• Work directly with families to support the development of students academically, intellectually, socially and behaviorally.
• Recommend, order, or authorize purchase of instructional materials, supplies, equipment, and visual aids designed to meet student educational needs.
• Assign work of, supervise and evaluate direct reports.
• Effectively build and maintain relationships with parents, community stakeholders, sponsoring district and neighborhood schools that establish mutual trust and respect.
• Develops and cultivate a school wide culture that fosters positive relationships across all levels.
• Work collaboratively with Principal and Home Office to achieve site and organizational goals.
• Support administration in the delivery of student report cards.
• Lead projects as assigned by principal that may include; process improvement, cycle of inquiry-driven instructional improvements, or any other projects required.
• Lead and participate in appropriate staff meetings and trainings including traveling within and outside of school region.
Student Life & Culture
• Implement, model and enforce policies and practices as they relate to student discipline and cultural norms.
• Respond to and participate in complaints or investigations of student behavior.
• Collaboratively work with students, parents and school staff to build a learning environment that is safe and productive.
• Demonstrate knowledge of, and support, Aspire Public Schools mission, vision, value statements, standards, policies and procedures, operating instructions, confidentiality standards, and the code of ethical behavior.
• Performs other related duties as required and assigned.
||1) Required knowledge, skills & abilities:
• Experience with instructional leadership, including demonstrated knowledge of curriculum, training design, assessment, culture building and developing along with leading teachers.
• Excellent organization, time management and follow-up skills; high sense of urgency; demonstrated ability to successfully handle multiple projects concurrently; ability to work as a team.
• Ability to provide excellent communication, presentation and interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to write clearly and persuasively and interact effectively with different audiences.
• Knowledge of business and management principals in leadership techniques, resource allocation, coordination of resource and people.
• Knowledge of applicable laws, Education code, regulations that govern educational practices.
• Ability to collect, analyze and interpret data.
• Possess skill set to select and use training/instructional methods and procedures appropriate for the situation when learning or teaching new things.
2) Minimum educational level:
• Bachelor’s Degree required; Masters or Ph.D. in Education preferred
• Valid Administrative Credential preferred
• NCLB Highly Qualified preferred
3) Experience required:
• 3+ years working in underserved communities as a full-time teacher, required
• 5+years teaching and/or administrative experience, preferred
||Send This Job to a Friend