||Recruiter/Student Services Manager, Aspire University
||Bay Area, Central Valley, Los Angeles, Memphis
||Aspire University is a new, independent not-for-profit organization that has grown out of a seven year pilot program in Aspire Public Schools. Our mission is to create opportunity and cultivate success for every student by recruiting and educating excellent
teachers and leaders who reflect our schools’ communities. In partnership with the University of Pacific we have trained and developed over 150 new teachers through a one-year apprenticeship model (the Aspire Teacher Residency). Our program graduates (with
their masters and teaching credentials and deep, on-site training) are tremendously effective as first year teachers and beyond, are staying in the classroom at significantly higher rates and are more demographically representative of the communities we serve.
Aspire Public Schools operates 40 high-performing, college-preparatory public charter schools serving 16,000 students in underserved communities across California and Memphis, Tennessee. Currently in its 17th academic year, Aspire is one of the nation’s largest
open-enrollment K-12 public charter school systems serving predominantly low-income students and delivering a rigorous College for Certain education. An unrelenting focus on college preparedness led to 100 percent of graduating Aspire seniors being accepted
to four-year colleges or universities over the last six years. To learn more, visit www.aspirepublicschools.org.
As Aspire University migrates from Aspire Public Schools to a stand-alone institution, our objectives are to:
1. Scale up our teacher residency program from 51 to 120 per year by Year 5.
2. Gain regional accreditation for Aspire University so we can directly offer a Master of Education degree by Year 5.
3. Help education systems beyond Aspire develop their own apprenticeship model teacher training programs.
4. Pilot and develop our Principal Residency program
At Aspire University (Aspire U), we believe that students get to and through college because of great educators, and there just aren’t enough of them, especially for students who are the first in their families to go to college. Teaching and school leadership
are noble professions that, when done well, are demanding of head and heart. At Aspire University we invest in and develop great teachers and leaders using an apprenticeship-learning model. We are a small, entrepreneurial team looking for someone who enjoys
working in a flexible environment which encourages creativity and autonomy. The Recruiter & Student Services Manager is one of two dynamic, multi-part positions responsible for:
1) Leading Aspire University’s rigorous recruiting efforts to build a pipeline of highly diverse and qualified candidates for the Aspire Teacher Residency either in Memphis, TN, or throughout California,, ensuring that Aspire University’s vision of developing
significantly more great teachers becomes a reality.
2) Overseeing the Aspire Teacher Residency admissions and placement processes in either region.
3) Developing partnerships and pursuing collaboration opportunities with organizations that share related missions.
4) Supporting Aspire U wide student services, and
5) Driving Aspire U’s use of social media and the web to build brand awareness and engagement, and interest in Aspire U’s programs.
Reports to: Aspire University DOO. Location: Either in Memphis, TN or flexible within California: possible locations include Redwood City, Oakland, Los Angeles, or Stockton.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Reporting to the DOO, and working closely with Aspire University’s recruiting, student services, and residency teams to support the mission, vision and core values of Aspire University, the essential responsibilities of the Recruiter/Student Services Manager
Recruit AspireU teaching residents (70%)
• Develop and implement a creative, mission aligned recruitment strategy in order to recruit residents for the Aspire Teacher Residency
• Engage in outreach and audience building – plan, implement, and expand upon Aspire University’s current recruitment strategies and tactics, with a focus on building an applicant pool that mirrors the demographics of the communities in which residents will
teach and lead.
• Strategically use data to continuously improve: develop expertise and consistently use databases and CRM and other data tools and systems to collect data, track progress toward goals, and inform efforts; share at team meetings.
• Collaborate weekly with recruitment team on recruitment best practices and candidate management.
• Plan and run well attended events: information sessions, webinars, meetings, and networking events; attend career fairs and panels; coordinate school visits and meetings with prospective candidates.
• Build and manage relationships: identify, establish, and strengthen partnerships with current staff, alumni, professors, community leaders, other organizations, and the larger education community to create referral networks and build pipelines of talented
• Manage communications and follow up: proactively initiate email, text, and phone communications to high-needs/high potential prospects and applicants; provide professional, timely, and consistent follow up before and after events, and during prospective and
• Use data to inform recruitment strategy and practices
Manage admissions and Aspire U wide student and alumni services (20%)
• Oversee the resident admissions process (screening, recommendations, interviewing, ongoing communication, admission decisions, processing, placement) to ensure fully enrolled class of residents.
• Support Aspire U students throughout the academic year; ensure current and former students are on top of all testing and credentialing, and provide other services as needed to support student learning and success.
• Lead activities and events with current residents and alumni to deepen cohort engagement, team cohesion, and program loyalty during the residency year.
• Work closely with Residency program director on credentialing questions, and to respond to needs of accrediting and credentialing agencies.
• Liaise with and support University partners.
Use social media channels for recruiting, communications, and brand building (5%)
• Drive use of social media and web channels nationally to build and sustain brand awareness and interest among potential students, alumni, partners, and influencers.
• Ensure that digital strategy aligns with larger communications strategy as set by COO.
Contribute to continuous improvement and impact (5%)
• Work with the Aspire U team to reflect on current programs and strategies, analyze data on performance outcomes, and continuously adapt and improve
• Contribute as requested to accreditation activities
1) Required knowledge, skills & abilities:
• Success building high quality, well-aligned, widely diverse applicant pools for selective educator preparation programs.
• Exceptional written and verbal communicator.
• Track record of using data to improve processes and outcomes.
• Past success using social media and other digital channels for audience development, engagement, and awareness.
• Exceptional attunement to equity issues and strategies for building authentic engagement with diverse communities.
• Entrepreneurial with a track record of succeeding in challenging, fast-paced, start-up environments; can operate amidst ambiguity; adjusts quickly to changing priorities and conditions; takes initiative to identify solutions and suggest systems where none
yet exist; copes effectively with complexity and change.
• Conviction that education transforms lives and that every student deserves the opportunity to go to college.
• Enthusiasm for Aspire University’s model and potential.
2) Minimum educational level:
• Bachelor’s degree required
• Master’s or above preferred
3) Experience required:
• Minimum of 3 years of experience in a relevant role
• Success in a college, university, or startup organization preferred
||Send This Job to a Friend